Monday, May 29, 2006

Pestoriffic

I can't believe I'm really making sourdoughs! It is so addicting. The moment I tried my hand in sourdough making, I know I'm going to be so hooked! This is another sourdough bread, pesto sourdough with wholemeal. It is sour, moist, and tender-chewy soft. What I love most about this bread is the aftertaste--reminiscent of balsamic vinegar and virgin olive oil. The pesto gave a complex flavor to this already flavorful bread, fruity and three dimensional.
Although I've made sourdoughs, I've yet to make them using only the starter, too afraid maybe?! Scared of fallen breads and fallen ego hehe.
If you're put off with it's soury flavor, you can lessen the starter upto a half cup. The complexity will still be present, only less sour; adjust accordingly with the liquid and flour content. If your pesto is already salty, lessen salt to 1/2t.
Pesto Sourdough
1 C sourdough
1/4 C water
3T pesto (homemade or purchased)
340g breadflour
30g wholemeal
3/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 T yeast
1. Stir starter, water and yeast together. Add wholemeal. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Dump everthing, holding back 80g of the bread flour.
3. If dough is sticky, add the last 80g a tablespoon at a time. Knead until smooth and elastic.
4. Let rise in an oiled bowl, 30-35minutes.
5. Punch down gently, gather into a ball and retard overnight or a little as 3-4 hours.
6. Shape and bake in a 375deg F preheated oven, 30-45 minutes.
7. Bread will be crispy on the exterior. Makes 1 9x5 loaf.
This loaf keeps very well, due to the starter that keeps the bread moist and tender, as if they're freshly baked everyday. And yet another reason to love sourdough breads.

No comments: