Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Sweet Success

Today in sweltering heat, I made two types of bread: whole wheat and sweet rolls. I always make them, as you can well see in my previous posts, but every batch is different, with each bread carrying a different character and shape. As fingerprints, no two loaves are the same and this holds true for rolls, too!
Enveloped with a humdrum hot summer day, I was predisposed to include several flavorful variations in my sweet rolls--oatmeal, chocolate chips, and pate brisee. I used them to top the sweet rolls, lending their individual textures and mouthfeel to each roll. Admittedly, it's something I do when I'm feeling extra fanciful and patient. They're very good and worth every effort, of course, especially with those wonderful scents belligerently wafting from the oven and making one just want to devour them. The smell is sweet, rich and buttery. Accompanied with a tall glass of iced latte, they're just the right treat for an afternoon summer heat--the perfect emolument for a job well done.

No comments: