Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Cookie for the Mature Self in you

I was working on some cakes when I glanced upon the sweetened dried cranberries my good good friend, D, gave me as pasalubong (token or gift) from her Hong Kong trip. I had profusely thanked her for it, but I haven't yet decided the kind of treat I'll create with it. I noticed a recipe at the back of the package and since I was scrimping for time, I decided to try this one instead.
And I'm glad I did.
I was quite anxious at first as to how the cookies would look like, due to the instruction of melting the butter. From experience and as general rule, melting the fat would give a chewy texture, a desirable quality, but it could verge on being brownie-like. Anyway, I did what I was instructed, getting down to basics: packing the brown sugar, melting and cooling the butter and so on.
As any cookie recipe, this one was easy to do. I included chopped pecans, white chocolate chips and of course, the star of the show, the cranberries. It had been fun making the batter, as I was feeling elated with the thought of doing a more mature version of every child's delightful treat.
The soothing smell that came out of my oven was spectacularly rich and tangy. The cinnamon was not evident, but somehow you'd know it's there. It kind of gave a supporting taste to the tanginess of the cranberries. Every bite was filled with a butterscotch-y flavor, the sweetness of the brown sugar taming the sour tang of the cranberries; the pecans lend an earthy undertone, while the old fashioned oats gave extra chew.
So far, this has been a surprise for me, it was neither brownie-like nor overyly moist. Although I kind of underbaked it a little, they had the advantageous characteristic of being just perfect right out of the fridge: cold, chunky, still rightfully chewy.
Cranberry Pecan White Chip Cookies
2/3 C melted unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 C light brown sugar, packed
2T honey
1t vanilla
2 C all purpose flour
1/2 t each of baking soda, salt, cinnamon
1/2 c old fashioned oats
1 C sweetened dried cranberries
3/4C white chocolate chips
1/2 C chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Beat first 5 ingredients until well mixed.
3. Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and oats.
4. Measure cranberries and dust a little with the flour mixture to prevent them from sticking together.
5. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring well. Fold in cranberries, white chocolate chips and pecans.
6. Drop by tablespoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned at the sides but still soft in the center.
7. Let cool on a wire rack.

No comments: