Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Caramel Cake


I've heard about this cake for quite some time now. From a friend, a cousin, from a friend's friend. They say it's good...actually, the best caramel cake there is. So, being the dessert lover that I am, I was beyond excited when somebody gave my mom Estrel's Caramel Cake. When I opened the box, alas, there's their signature buttercream flower alright.
I can only show 1/3 of the cake , because the 2/3s were already eaten (hehe) and it arrived only last night. What can I say, we're voracious eaters. Besides, it's chiffon, it's like eating cotton candy. You're digesting more air than cake. Or maybe not.
As much as people rave about this cake, I know a handful whose world doesn't suddenly stop after having tasted the cake. And I'm afraid I'm one of those people. Don't get me wrong, I liked it just fine, it wasn't sweet, it was the type of cake that was easy to eat, easy in the mouth. But, it lacked something. I expected a whack on the head, with sanity and reason flying out the window. But, it just didn't happen. The so called caramel filling and icing tasted more like evaporated milk (which I think it is, actually) than caramel, so, it isn't a sweet cake, which, I believe is what makes it appealing to most people.
All that said, I still think it's worth a try. This may be the cake for you.

No comments: