Monday, August 28, 2006

Caramel Cake yet again!

It seemed following from the success of Estrel's Caramel Cakes, every bakery seemed to be creating one milky caramel cake to call their own. The caramel hues range from dark tawny to light yellow and, from my recent discovery, creamy ivory. After a pretty heavy meal at Gumbo in the Mall of Asia, I was ready to pass up dessert. So, Carl and I decided to take a walk for awhile and check out new stores instead. I came across Hizon's near the cinema, I can't tell neither which building nor which cinema area, because I really don't know (it's a freakin' huge mall!); anyway, the stall was situated to one side, not in the usual middle area, with a wide array of Hizon's specialty products, ensaymada in various sizes, mocha cake, taisan, yema crusted chiffon, empanada, asado roll, and a whole lot more. This Caramel Cake (P65) was highly visible in the top shelf, sold individually in cake takeout containers. Curiosity got the best of me, would it taste like Estrel's? would it be light yet cream-rich heavy at the same time? Well, yes and no. Yes, it was creamy rich, but no, it definitely doesn't taste like Estrel's. The caramelized milky taste of this one was a shade lighter (its color would give that away.). But like Estrel's, the filling was thick, creamy, and light. It doesn't keep well, either. I had to discard my leftover because a crust has formed on top and the taste was already getting a bit suspicious. But this stays well put in a cool room, just not in the fridge.
Would I buy this one again? yes, maybe. Because soemtimes, you just want something milky. I don't what is it with milky products, they're just such comfort foods.

No comments: